22 years ago tomorrow, a little me came into the world. I was named Nomatter and then I had to do this life thing.
Here I am, Almost 22:
No Baby mama drama, no herpes, no criminal record, a degree, nice hair and a fantastical collection of nail polish, I think I’ve done pretty damn well.
So here’s my little life’s inventory list, of some of the things I’ve learnt over the past year:
- Always make an effort to remember who got you birthday gifts, before you accuse them of not having got you a birthday gift… while you are wearing their gift. (Sorry Craig!)
- Love Happens, truly, purely and wonderfully with this, heartbreak happens just as intensely as love happens.
- Just do it. Cut your hair, it will grow back.
- You say and do crazy things when you are heartbroken, this is alright. Just don’t kill anyone.
- Time heals all.
- It is possible to be the president of the Zimbabwean students society, without being able to speak a word of Shona (I am living proof of this)
- Chicken salad saves lives, if someone offers you a chicken salad say yes.
- Be patient with yourself, be kind to yourself.
- Always put up a fight for what you believe in, even if you fight to the point where you are in tears.
- Never ever compromise your principals, even if the only argument you have is “It just doesn’t feel right”go with it.
- Don’t go to work drunk. Ever.
- Know when to let go.
- Close the chapter- You can’t have the same problems at 22 that you did at 21.
- Pick up the phone and call. Life happens and were always busy, make the effort to stay in touch with your friends.
- When your friends tell you to get up and go to the bathroom-Don’t pretend you are sober. Do it.
- You have no business associating yourself with boys that can’t take no for answer.
- When people treat you badly, cut them loose and don’t feel bad about it.
- Don’t make excuses, just say no.
- Never allow a boy make you a side chick “if I didn’t have a girlfriend, I’d be with you.” Aint Nobody got time for that.
- Be outwardly angry. Express the emotion, get it out there.
- I am dark in complexion; I always have been and always will be.
- Accept compliments. Take it, accept it and own it.
21 was : Getting drank, listening to Robyn and swimming in Emmarentia dam at 2am, ducking when the security guards drove past with their flood lights, singing out loud to Demi Lovato’s sky scraper and then almost getting arrested…
22 will be…